Translate

Wednesday 4 March 2015

Lilac and Lemon - hmm

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! Today I'd like to share my entry for this week's blog challenge over at Passion for ProMarkers - Lovely Lilacs and Lemons. Looking at the challenge title, I may have taken things a bit too literally. We were allowed to add touches of other colours (skin, hair, grass, sky etc) but apart from that you have to stick to the two colours as stated.

Bookatrix Mother's Day card featuring Morehead "Girl" stamp 
This card is actually my sixth attempt at the theme but I didn't like how the others turned out (this is the only completed card) I'm sure I'll be able to salvage some usable elements from the reject pile. I'd always planned on using this Crafter's Companion stamp set Morehead's "Girl" for my mum's card, I'm going to do the matching "Boy" stamp on my mum-in-law's card at some point, but I hadn't thought to use the lemon/lilac combo. Being so restricted reminded me of my early days of ProMarker colouring because I had to use the saturation method to get any tonal difference in the colours, the image is flatter than it would be if I'd used a light, medium and dark yellow or purple but I rather liked the challenge of getting the colour differences in the image just using one colour - I did this all the time before getting the full range of pens. The pansy was made using the Build A Pansy stamp set by DoCrafts, it's about a gazillion years old so I don't think it's still available, and coloured in using Lilac, Lemon and Burnt Sienna Promarkers - this colour combination with the addition of Tan was also used to colour the girl image *forgot to mention the Cool Grey 2 that I used to ground the image - sorry*. The paper lace was made by punching out white card using a Martha Stewart lace punch then colouring it with lemon or lilac ProMarkers. The mum stamp was free with a stamping mag. The lemon and lilac gems were from The Works. The cardstock was from Crafter's Companion or rather from a prize I won from QCME for a card competition but it didn't say what sort of card it is. I used the Glitter Girls Bookatrix embossing board and tool to dry emboss the book shapes which I cut out with scissors.


I've made a matching box to put the card in (mainly because one of my original ideas for this challenge was to make a card featuring just the pansies), I added extra pen on the edges of the paper lace to give it a two tone appearance.

Here are some more photos.





I can't say that this has been the easiest of challenges but it has been very satisfying. I'm rather pleased to have made a card using only 5 different ProMarkers, though I'm not sure I'd stick quite so rigidly to the colour combo next time (I'm sure others will have used the light/medium/dark combo - it's highly likely that lilac and lemon have featured in the seasonal ProMarker selections which I don't own). I hope my mum likes it :)

I shall be working on the "Boy" card this weekend so hopefully I'll have another card to share with you soon. As always if you have any comments or questions then please leave them below or why not click onto my Facebook page and come say hi - I'd like that! Until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

4 comments:

  1. A really cute image, and love how you have followed the challenge to a letter. Great design and layout. Thanks for playing along with us at Passion for Promarkers in our 'Lovely Lilac and Lemon' challenge, and good luck
    Eileen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, when I first made this card I wasn't sure I liked the colour combo but as the week's passed I've come to really like it. I'm a bit of a stickler to sticking to the rules and I'm glad I did because it really did challenge me (hence all the rejects). In the end I made my mum a different Mother's Day card and I'm now planning on giving this one to my mum-in-law for her birthday next month. Crafty hugs Sarah xxx

      Delete
  2. Super cute card Sarah ànd great job with my colour combo. Thanks for joining us at Passion for Promarkers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly, I really enjoyed the challenge of your colour combo and it's one I'll definitely use again x

      Delete

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx