Translate

Monday 24 August 2015

Boxy Lady lol

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! I hope you've all had a brilliant weekend, I haven't done a lot of crafting, I think I'm a bit burnt out from getting my NCOTY entry finished as my craft mojo has gone south again, but like most things in life the best way to deal with it is to try, try and try again so I'll be in the crudy once this post is written. It's our wedding anniversary on the 11/9/15 so I need to make a card for that, I've got an idea for it I just need to work out the details. My entry for NCOTY may be safely on it's way (hopefully there by now) but I've got POTY (Papercrafter of the Year) to work on next. If you are a loyal reader, you may recall last year's entries which included a Gorjuss birthday book/calendar for the non card element of the entry. I'm planning to try something completely different this year which I'm not going to share in case I mess it up lol - it's a new craft for me personally so I'm not sure how good it's going to be. I know it's kind of risky to try a new craft rather than one I'm familiar with but the truth is apart from the odd paper project I mainly make cards so any project I submit is going to be new territory anyway and I may as well try one I'm passionate about. Plus learning a new skill is one of the reasons I love crafting so much. Closing date for POTY is the 12th November 2015 and like the NCOTY comp I want to get my entry in early. One of the reasons for this is they'll probably be a third comp (can't remember what it's called though!) with a closing date a week later if last year is anything to go by. At one point last year, I had three entries all on the go which was tremendous pressure (a bit like when I was trying to pack my old flat up, plan a wedding and make regular trips across to see my husband to be - I nearly had a meltdown!) By being super organised I've already completed and sent one entry off, if I can continue to do this it'll mean that the final competition will get the same level of care and attention that the first two receive. I sometimes worry that my final entry isn't as polished as the first two because not only am I usually chasing deadlines but trying to get Christmas cards and handmade gifts made too. Let's hope I've finally learnt my lesson :).

I thought I'd share a couple of box cards that I've made recently, as you can probably tell I'm really into making them at the moment.

A Fine Gentleman themed box card

I'm late - I really moustache! 
This is the box card I made for my husband's birthday - I have been threatening to make him a rabbit gardening card but relented and made him one I thought he'd like. Chris chose the embossing folder for me to use (Sizzix hexagons) and I teamed it with some First Editions dies called "Vintage Gentleman". You can't really see in these photos but I replaced the lenses in the glasses with some card covered in holographic film, the effect is rather psychedelic and a bit steampunky. I added strips of holographic card to behind the hats so it shows through the die cut ribbon band. I wanted a lot of texture for this card and the hexagon embossed holographic card works perfectly - it kind of reminds me of a Tom Baker era TARDIS interior (the Horror channel have been re-running the vintage Doctor Who series). Chris loves his card and I've got to say it's one of my favourites! (Mind you my last card is always my favourite lol).

You're a star, Charlie card

Star box card for my amazing niece

My second box card is one I made before the birthday card and it's for my wonderful niece Charlie. She got her GCSE results last week and I wanted to make her a card expressing how proud of her I am. I've recently got a order from Sizzix and there were two different sized star dies included. I think Charlie is a real star so I thought this card would be a perfect way to show her how I feel. Unfortunately the sentiment is a little crooked, I made it while I had a poorly eye and I think my judgement was a little off (if this is anything to go by!) still it's the little imperfections that show it's handcrafted. She hasn't got the card yet as it's rather bulky and needs to go to the post office first but I wanted to add it to the first card.

I hope you've enjoyed my little card share, I love the box cards at the moment so you'll have to endure a few more before I find my next fad lol. I'm even considering doing another vintage gentleman themed one for POTY but I'll need to think things through before I decide. As always if you have any comments or questions then please leave them in the usual places. Until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx