Translate

Saturday 17 October 2015

"Bubble" Card for Charlie

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! Woo hoo! - it's the weekend. Have you got anything exciting planned? I've come down with something icky so I don't think I'll be doing much personally. My replacement stamps didn't arrive today (Friday) but hopefully they'll come tomorrow. I did get a couple of interesting (ish) items in the post though - a metre of magnetic tape (£1.39 and free P&P on ebay) and a set of twelve tiny pots of metallic mica powders (£6.90 with free mini mister bottle and P&P also ebay) I thought the mica powders were Perfect Pearls as that's what I put into the search thing on ebay but they don't appear to be the real deal, I'm not hugely bothered as long as they do what they're supposed to do. One of the reasons I wanted them was to try out a technique by Jennifer McGuire called 'Pearlised Water', you can make mica sprays with most powders as long as they have a binder included in their formulation and basically to make the 'pearlised water' you just add some white mica powder to some water in a spray bottle, give it a really good shake and start spraying. Jennifer recently shared a set of thank you cards which used the pearlised water to stamp an image onto a distress ink background, as the distress inks are water reactive the stamped image became lighter on the card and had a beautiful pearlised finish. I'm planning (doesn't mean I'll actually get round to it though lol) on making a set of notelets as a present for someone this Christmas and I thought this technique would be a perfect design for the cards as it's fairly simple to do and can be done production line style. Assuming I get around to it, I'll be sharing the finished item at a later date.

Today (Friday) is my niece's 17th Birthday so as promised I'd like to share the card that I made for her. I think 17 is one of those awkward ages to craft for, I don't want to make a card using images that are too grown up but on the other hand nothing too babyish either. I decided that this "Dollie" image from Crafter's Companion's Scruffy Little Kitten range was perfect and teamed it up with a Scruffy Little Cat embossing folder which I think is called "Bubbles".

"Dollie" card for my niece

Sentiment from CC Sentimentals 

Bowed embossed acetate over the image
 I coloured the Dollie image in using FlexMarkers and stamped the sentiment on a thin strip of scrap card cut to the desired size, I added three silver glittered enamel dots in a variety of sizes as shown and added it underneath the bath. I then cut a sheet of acetate 3 cm larger than the front of my card and embossed it in the CC embossing folder, it was part of the Scruffy Little Cat range and doesn't appear to still be available on the website (FYI if you sign up to the Every Craft's A Pound newsletter they'll send you updates about new stock and they quite often sell Crafter's Companion embossing folders etc so if you like this folder they may have it in at some point). Once the acetate was embossed. I scored two thin strips at the longest sides and added red liner tape to it before sticking it over my topper. Because the acetate is a little bit wider than the topper it bows over it like a bay window. I added this to the front of the card front using more red liner tape and I stamped a sentiment inside the top folded card. Because of the arched acetate I had to sent the card in a padded envelope but if you make one similar, I would recommend making a box if you are hand delivering it.

I hope you like this fun design, I'm hoping I got the balance right and Charlie doesn't think it's too babyish for a seventeen year old. If I feel a bit better over the weekend then I shall be doing a bit of crafting and will share with you what I come up with. If you have any questions or comments then please leave them in the usual places and until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx