Translate

Saturday 24 October 2015

Caught a bug card

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! Hasn't this weekend come around quickly? It's my birthday tomorrow so hopefully I'll have a nice crafty time this weekend. My husband is off for his flu jab today which I'm hoping he'll be well enough to have as he's come down with man flu - poor thing. Illness is making its rounds at the moment my parents-in-law are both poorly and my youngest nephew got sent home with chicken pox just in time for the half term holiday. To cheer him up I made him a card using the Clearly Besotted "Out Of This World" stamp set, although the images are of aliens or monsters I thought they'd make good germs.




I made this card by die cutting the mason jar out of white cardstock using a Sizzix Bigz die. I edged around it using a small amount of Blueprint Sketch Distress ink and applied it with a blending tool. Blueprint Sketch is quite a bright colour but I started blending on my glass mat so that by the time I reached the jar, the colour was considerably lighter than it started as. Ideally I would have used Tumbled Glass Distress ink but I don't own that colour yet. I die cut the fastenings out of crimped silver card and glued it to the top as shown. I stamped the green 'germ' first then masked it off with a paper mask and stamped the other 'germs' around and above it. I coloured the images in with Kaisercraft Fusion markers and added googly eyes to the centre alien. I hand wrote a sentiment on the mason jar itself and stamped a get well greeting on a strip of white card. The Jack word was made up of individual letter stamps which is why it's a little crooked - I'm pretending it's whimsical! I cut some dark blue textured card to the required size and rounded the bottom corners to mirror the bottom of the mason jar, then stuck all the elements together as shown. I made a top folding card blank and rounded the bottom corners too. As a final touch I dotted a couple of the aliens with colourless blender pen so it removed some of the colour and made the germs look spotty. Jack got his card yesterday and really loved the googly eyes - I have to admit they are my favourite part too! I even made a purple spotted envelope to send the card in.




One of the things I love about this stamp set is that even though they are very simple images the critters have lots of character and personality to them, I think the blue spiky one looks like it can't wait to escape the jar so it can come and bite you lol.

I had a lot of fun making this card and it took me a couple of tries to get it how I'd envisioned it. This stamp set is a really versatile one and is great for birthdays, Halloween and as this card proves - Get Well cards too though you will need an additional sentiment. I'm really glad I've finally got to use the mason jar die too, I've had it for a while but haven't known what to use it for up to now. I've a busy weekend ahead but hopefully I'll get time to do some crafting (definitely need to, it's Isobel's first birthday on Tuesday and I still haven't made her card yet!) so all being well I'll have a new post added in the next couple of days.

As always if you have any comments or questions then please leave them in the usual places and until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx