Translate

Friday 15 July 2016

A HOTP Steampunk Card

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! Well it's been ages since I posted anything, sorry if you've missed my creations but I've just not really been doing much crafting the past week, hopefully that will change in the next week or so. I have managed to make a couple of cards using a lovely Steampunk themed stamp set from Hot Off The Press. The first card I made was a card "just because" for my lovely husband Chris who sometimes has a lot to put up with being married to me and this is the one I'd like to share today.


HOTP Light up my life steampunk card

Close up of topper

Close up of sentiment

Card for Chris

The stamp set comes with loads of small stamps perfect for making your own background paper so that's what I did using Memento Rich Cocoa inked images onto a panel of Kraft card stock. I stamped the chained light bulbs onto a square panel of cream card stock and coloured the bulbs in using a bright yellow Flex marker. I added clear Spectrum Noir Shimmer pen to the three light bulbs on the left and added Glossy Accents to all the bulbs, I put the panel to one side while I worked on the rest of the card. I stamped out the sentiment then used a square punch to cut it out and went around the edges with Walnut Stain distress ink to tie it in with the rest of the card. Once the Glossy Accents had fully dried I mixed a little bit of Nuvo Acrylic paint with water until it was a runny (but not too runny) consistency and then loaded up an old stiff bristled brush and flicked it onto the topper panel and the background panel. I used two colours - silver and pearlised white. I left both pieces to dry while I cut a piece of Kraft card slightly bigger than the topper. I made a card blank out of another sheet of the cream card that I used for the topper. Once the paint was dry I added the topper to the square of Kraft card using d/s tape then added the background card to the card blank. Finally I added the topper and the sentiment as shown using foam tape. The splatters of acrylic paint have dried raised which gives the card a bit of texture - as regular readers will know my husband is sight impaired so I try to add texture to all my cards so even if he can't see it very well (he has a bit of sight in one eye and can see some colours but not all unfortunately) he'll still be able to feel the various textures and enjoy the card in a different way.

I really enjoyed making this card, the stamp set is amazing and it's really going to get a lot of use especially for men's cards. I liked getting messy but I've got to say I didn't enjoy the smell of the Nuvo paint and it lingered for a couple of days in my crudy so I'll probably use it sparingly. I made a second card using this stamp set but I can't share it just yet as it's for my friend Adam's birthday (today!) and I want him to see it first.  Hopefully he'll get it today or tomorrow and I'll be able to add a new blog post over the weekend. As always if you have any questions or comments then please leave them in the usual places, I may not always respond but I love to read each and every one of them. Until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx