Translate

Monday 13 March 2017

A double Z fold Easter Card

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! I hope you've all had a brilliant weekend and managed to get lots of crafting done. Spring is most definitely in the air and I've been inspired by the bright sunshine and vibrant green colours to make an extra special Easter card for three of my nieces. I've actually made two of these cards and I will show you both cards as they are slightly different versions of the same design. Unfortunately I used some gorgeous coloured linen effect card to make my original card not realising that it would crack when I scored it and it's actually ripped at one of the folds so I've had to mend it using some tape which means it's not good enough to give away now.

There are lots of double z fold cards out there at the moment - Dawn's Stamping Thoughts on YouTube has an easy to follow tutorial and there are lots of other tutorials on YouTube - just put Double Z fold cards in the search box and you'll get loads of different videos to choose from. Most if not all Double Z fold cards are 4 1/4 " x 11" which I found a little small. The card folds down to 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" so I cut my card to 5 1/2" x 11" so it folds down to  5 1/2" x 5 1/2". I used the free fence die that came with issue 144 of Papercraft Essentials magazine and a couple of the stamps from the same issue. I also used a stitched border die from Ebay, a couple of cloud dies (one Ebay and one from Crafter's Companion) and three stitched oval dies also from Ebay.











The card base was made from Centura Pearl blue card from the Pastels collection, it has a very subtle sheen to it. The green parts were made using Dovecraft Premium card stock. I used one of the free stamps that came with this month's issue of Creative Stamping magazine to stamp a wood grain pattern onto the fence pieces after I die cut them out of brown card using the free fence die. I needed 7 die cuts to complete the fence on this card. The Easter eggs were die cut out of a DCWV 6" x 6" paperstack (it's actually card weight though) called The Birthday Wishes stack - you can't see on the photos but some of the papers have holographic film on them either completely (the green chevron pattern) or in spots. The other cards in the stack are made with a glossy finish. After die cutting the stitched hillside (because it's 11" long I needed to die cut the card twice taking care to line the die up with the previous cut) I stamped a load of mini Easter eggs using a tiny little stamp from the Springtime die and stamp set that came free with Papercraft Essentials magazine onto the green hill and front strip, a few of them are completely hidden by the fence but I think the girls will have fun having a Easter Egg Hunt on a card and there are 14 visible eggs to find (they're not all obvious though!) I used the Happy and Easter stamps from the same stamp set to stamp the greeting on the cloud. I made a matching envelope using my WRMK Envelope Punch Board and decorated the flap and front with the mini Easter Egg stamp.



here is where the card ripped




The second card is the original card but I used linen effect card stock instead of Centura Pearl blue card and Dovecraft Premium green card. Although the linen card from The Works is gorgeous, it's not suitable for scoring and folding because it cracked and totally split down one score line. I only used the two smallest oval dies for the Easter eggs on this card and used card covered with Dovecraft designer papers to make the eggs - they were actually scraps left over from the giraffe 1,2,3 card so it was quite a thrifty card to make.

I hope you like my latest makes, they were quite time consuming to make thanks to all the die cutting but the actual Z Fold card itself is very easy to make as it just involves a couple of cuts with a trimmer and some score lines - you could even just trim the card down to 11" (full width) score it then cut down to 5.5" so the double Z fold part is already scored as long as you are using cardstock that's either plain white or dual coloured as you would need to flip the scored part so the folds mirror each other and a pearlised card on one side would look odd with the plain side making up the second Z. Easter cards are not something I usually make mainly because rather like Christmas cards it's often cheaper just to buy them in bulk rather than hand crafting them but I had a lot of fun making these two. There is a variation on the double Z fold card which incorporates the box elements of a pop up box card and I'm considering making a couple of them for Mother's Day (less than two weeks away!)

As always if you have any comments or questions then please leave them in the usual places. Until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxxx

1 comment:

  1. Both cards are stunning, what a shame about the card cracking. I'll try to remember not to use that type of card.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx