Translate

Sunday 18 June 2017

A U-Fold Box card for Father's Day

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! I hope you have all had a wonderful weekend, we've been enjoying some beautiful weather here in the UK which is lovely apart from my tiny crudy is very stuffy and almost too hot to craft in! However, I managed to spend a couple of hours in there last night to make a special Father's Day card for my dad-in-law. I saw this new to me card fold on YouTube about a month ago and originally I was planning on making one for  a baby card with the flap part becoming a changing table but ended up making a double Z fold card instead. I still wanted to make one of these cards though and what better occasion than Father's Day. Men's cards are quite difficult to make but I've noticed that kinetic cards are popular with men  especially so I try to make them for my dad-in-law time permitting. My dad-in-law is a very keen gardener and loves his shed so I thought I'd make him a potting shed card. I have a set of cacti dies by Spellbinders called Succulent Garden which has a plant pot die included so I combined this die set with some paper from the Mr Mister papers and diecut collection to make the following card.

The card folds flat for posting

The top middle panel is should be pushed down when the card is opened to form the work bench

The card opens to form a U and the front panel rests on a card bracket

Closer view of the work bench area


Close up of the succulents
I'll have to admit that this is quite a tricky card to make - I followed the instructions of the YouTube video and a blog post carefully but my first attempt just wouldn't fold flat and even my second attempt stubbornly refused to stay flat enough to put in an envelope so I ended up tweaking the measurements a bit.  Here is a link to the original video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI1y-Es7rN8&t=75s - I think I went wrong because I used the measurements provided on her blog post which had one of the pieces as being 5cm by 19.5cm (on the video she gives both metric and imperial so I went on her blog just to jot down the measurements because it was getting a bit confusing) whereas if you watch the video it should be 5cm by 21cm and believe me that 1.5cm makes a huge difference! Before I checked both her blog and video for the measurements I just left my strip longer than I needed and cut the excess off. Anyway it was third time lucky and the card turned out fine. As there is already someone else's YouTube and Blog post already out there I won't bother adding a tutorial on here (to be honest it's so hot I just want to finish this post as quickly as possible so I can lay somewhere cool), if you click on the link it will take you to Ink Responsibly's video and there is a link to her blog in the description - it doesn't take you directly there so you'll have to scroll down a couple of pages - not a hardship though as she has some cute puppy photos on her blog posts 😍

I nearly forgot to say - the flower pots were die cut out of kraft card and edged with some walnut stain distress ink, for most of them I die cut them twice and cut off the top part to layer on the rim  to give it more dimension but I ran out of kraft card so I couldn't do them all. The succulents were die cut out of white card stock and coloured in using Flexmarkers, I also used one of the brown shades (think it may have been rosewood) to go over the edges of the card as the white card base showed through especially so when the work bench is folded down, I think I'd use kraft card stock for card base if I make another one. The sentiment was one out of the pack of Mr Mister papers and die cuts.

I'd like to enter this card for the Blog Challenge over at Passion For Promarkers  http://promarkerchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/week-399add-sentiment.html - the challenge this week is Add a Sentiment and I coloured in the succulents with Grass, Bright Green, Herb Green and Forest Green (I think!) I also used Rosewood Flexmarker.

I hope you like my latest make, it was a lot of fun to make and it's great to have such a dimensional card that folds flat enough to post - it fits in a 4 1/2" x 8" envelope, I made my own using my WRMK envelope punch board. As always if you have any questions or comments then please leave them in the usual places and until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

4 comments:

  1. Having made one or two kinetic cards, I understand your frustrations along the way Sarah!! Well done for keeping at it - you've created something fantastic, and your dad-in-law must have loved it!! Thanks for taking the time in your overwhelming heat, to type up your process. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Lovely dies and great paper! Thanks for joining us at Passion for Promarkers! Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I think making Kinetic cards are my favourite cards to make but they can make me tear my hair out when they refuse to do what they're supposed to lol. Luckily I'm extremely stubborn and refuse to let a piece of card get the better of me ;) I'm really pleased you enjoyed reading my post and thank you for taking over the challenge this week. I check out the PFP challenge every week and try to make a card for it when it matches the cards I want/need to make that week so an open theme like use a sentiment was a great opportunity to combine your challenge with what I needed to make.

      lol I know you live in Australia so it must be quite amusing to have seen me complaining about the heat when it's probably around your summer average. :D I look forward to your next challenge :)

      Crafty hugs,

      Sarah xxx

      Delete
  2. WOW-your card is totally amazing!!!! It looks fantastic-hope your Father in Law liked it. Would he appreciate all the work that has gone into it? My in laws would as my M in L is a cardmaker but my Dad just doesn't appreciate fancy cards!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele :) Chris said he loved it and I'm sure his dad did. Both my in-laws are crafty, mum-in-law mainly sews and dad-in-law makes things out of wood - he's started to carve things out of balsa wood that I honestly think belong in an art gallery they are so good but he won't consider taking them because he just sees it as a hobby. If I was that talented card wise I'd be at the nearest gallery in a shot! lol the point I'm trying to make is that I think he probably does appreciate all the work that went into it even if he's not entirely sure how much that actually was. I think crafty people appreciate other crafty people's work even if they don't do the same craft,just because they know from their own experience how long things can take to make.

      I'm sure your dad appreciates every single card you make for him even if he expresses it badly. I'd only been making cards for a short time when my Grandma died and I was very touched to find out that of all the cards she'd received through the years, the only ones she'd kept was the handcrafted ones I'd made her.

      Crafty hugs,

      Sarah xxx

      Delete

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx